Greek Panzanella


With so many fresh vegetables in our farmer's markets and in our veggie box, Ina's Greek Panzanella was perfect.  A Panzanella is actually an Italian salad that is found commonly in the Tuscan region.  It is a summer salad that combines fresh bread and the summer's vegetable bounty!

Ina's Panzanella takes on a Greek flair using oregano, kalamata olives and feta.  This was a lovely salad that I couldn't stop eating!  It definitely goes on the rotation and will be one that I make for company.


Greek Panzanella
Ina Garten


Good Olive oil

1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
Kosher salt
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 red bell pepper, large diced
1 yellow bell pepper, large diced
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 red onion, sliced in half rounds
1/2 pound feta cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted

For the vinaigrette:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil

Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the bread cubes and sprinkle with salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, until nicely browned. Add more olive oil as needed.


Place the cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl.

For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper in a small bowl. While still whisking, add the olive oil and make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add the feta, olives and bread cubes and mix together lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


I am totally sold on this salad!  What a delicious light salad with robust flavors!
 
 
Barefoot Bloggers featured this salad in July. 

Comments

  1. Your Panzanella looks super yummy!!! That reminds me a bit of German bread salad, which is also very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE making, and of course eating, this salad. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos, Kate. I make Greek salad all the time but never thought to add bread to it. This is what's for dinner at my house tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious Kate! I love feta and red onion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I have yet to make Panzanella. I love everything about this one. I'll have to try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love greek salad but I do it without the croutons.. yours look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can never go wrong with Ina!Love this Greek version of the classic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this looks amazing! I've never made panzanella, but when I do, this will be the recipe I try. Beautiful salad for company :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts