Creamy Ham and Potato Cheese Soup

Hustle and bustle, cold, brisk breezes, parades, shopping and getting home too late to think about cooking? For me it was recovering from the flu so I decided to take the easy route for dinner....soup!

I smiled as I realized I had everything on hand to make this creamy, cheesy soup...and I love Gruyère cheese so dinner was easily decided.


Ham and Potato Cheese Soup
adapted from Pacific Fresh

Yield:  about 6 cups

2 Tbsp butter
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 cup cubed baked ham
1/2-3/4 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
3 large potatoes, sliced
3 cups chicken broth or stock
1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
1/4 cup whole milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the ham, then add in the thyme, potatoes, and broth.  Cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.  Potatoes should be broken up and slightly mushy.

Add the cheese and milk and stir until the cheese melts and the soup is heated to serving temperature.  Season with salt and pepper.  Keep warm over low heat.  Ladle into bowls, garnish with parsley and serve immediately with crusty bread.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


We loved this soup...how long does one have to wait to make it again?  Mmmmm....

I am sharing at Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage and Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

  1. Your soup sounds so good Kate. I have been thinking about ham and potatoes together in a casserole, but this would would be even better with the addition of Gruyere. Hope you are better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kate, The soup looks great. It is cold and rainy here today and the soup would be perfect. xo Catheirne

    ReplyDelete
  3. If given a choice I would always choose a potato soup over any other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, This sounds like a great cold weather bowl of comfort! Potatoes, cheese and ham...they just go together. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a nice warming soup for our cold New England weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kate, thank you for visiting and your comment so appreciated, I here drooling over this soup, I could eat soup 24/7. I'm new following....drop back for visit anytime. And I know I want another post here at A Spoonful of Thyme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I know I want MISS another post here at A Spoonful of Thyme....sorry my ole fingers ain't hitting the keys just right this evening.

      Delete
  7. Hi Kate,
    We will just love your creamy ham and potato cheese soup, it looks delicious. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great weekend and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently started sharing recipes on The Jenny Evolution and thought it would be terrific to have a group on FB where we can share our recipes not just with other bloggers but with people who are searching out recipes. That said, I'm launching a Food Blogger group! If we work together we can make this a great outlet for all of us. If you'd like to join, visit me here https://www.facebook.com/groups/341455112700743/

    To be approved post to the group, please follow the directions in the group description. Look forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your soup looks divine Kate. I always keep a wedge of Gruyere in the frig.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts