Savory Scones

Ever since Mom fell and fractured a hip, things have been a bit bumpy at my house.  I have found myself exploring our healthcare system, skilled nursing and assisted living situations in depth.  All I can say is that nothing is ever simple but there is always an answer to address the need.  Of course, it may not be quite as expected, but there are options.  That said, I believe that I have mom placed in a retirement complex that offers her the independence that she desires as well as the assistance that she must have to be safe.  I so appreciate my friends who have traveled this road and shared their many experiences and made recommendations.  Bless you, friends.

There hasn't been too much cooking going on but it just so happens that I did make some savory breakfast scones and that is what I want to share with you today.  These were just the right combination of herbs, cheese, and ham...perfect for breakfast on the run!  Sitting down would have been nice too!  Anyway, the recipe is one that comes together quickly, just be sure to have the prepping done ahead. The recipe came from my daughter who go it from a friend who got it from a friend...I have no idea who should be credited!  But, I do believe it is a keeper!



Savory Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup ham, diced
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 to 2 Tbsp chives, chopped
2 tsp fresh sage, chopped
1 egg
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven:  425° F.

Position the oven rack in the center.  Line a baking sheet with parchment, if desired.

In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Cut in the butter with 2 knives or a pastry cutter, tossing the pieces with the flour mixture to coat and separate them as you work, until the largest pieces are the size of peas and the rest resemble breadcrumbs.  Do not allow the butter to melt or form a paste with the flour.

Stir in the ham, cheddar, chives and sage.  Set the mixture aside while you whisk together the egg and the heavy cream, in a separate bowl.  Once whisked, add it to the dry mixture.  Mix together until the dry ingredients are moistened.  Gather the dough into a ball and knead it gently against the sides and bottom of the bowl 5 to 10 times, turning and pressing any loose pieces into the dough each time until they adhere and the bowl is fairly clean.  Do not overwork the dough or let the dough get warm.

Drop dough in even sized lumps onto the baking sheet.  Bake until the tops are golden brown and spring back when pressed, 12 to 15 minutes.  (The time will need to be adjusted based on the size of the scone.)

PRINTABLE RECIPE


A quick breakfast for an on-the-go family!  

Comments

  1. Kate, Beautiful looking scones! A couple of these slathered in butter and I'd be set for the day... Thanks for the recipe. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking scones Kathy. I hope your mother's health continues to improve. It's so hard as you get older, especially when you fall. I'll keep her and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts