Enchiladas Suizas

When it comes to enchiladas, I must admit that Enchiladas Suizas are my favorite.  Enchiladas Suizas are chicken enchiladas in a cheesy, creamy tomatillo sauce.  The best ones have just a bit of "bite" to them.  You may recognize the green sauce made from tomatillos and serranos as the one used in Salsa Verde.  It is close but doesn't pack the "big" punch that Salsa Verde can have.

It is the main course I usually order when going to a Mexican restaurant.  I think I measure the restaurant by this dish....as well as their rice and beans.  A good Mexican restaurant should never mess up the rice and beans!

The August/September 2012 issue of Saveur Magazine featured these enchiladas and the restaurant where they originated in 1950, Sanborn's cafe in Mexico City.  I have never been there but when I mentioned this recipe, my friend, Angie, said that she and her husband had eaten there and that the Enchiladas Suizas were delicious. Knowing that, I knew that it was time for me to make this spicy dish.  We were not disappointed.  I can see these appearing for many more dinners!


Enchiladas Suizas
adapted from Saveur Magazine

Yield:  6 servings

1 1/2 lb. tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed
2-3 serrano chiles, stemmed
1 cup rough chopped cilantro
1 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1 1/2 cups shredded queso Oaxaca or mozzarella
1 package 6-inch corn tortillas, about 8-10 tortillas
1 cup canola oil
Garnish
Avocado slices
Dollop of sour cream
Chopped cilantro leaves


Place the oven rack four inches from the broiler and heat the broiler on high.

On a foil lined baking sheet, broil the tomatillos and serranos.  Turn as needed, until they are blackened all over.   This should take about 10 minutes.  Allow the tomatillos and serranos to cool for about 10 minutes.  Peel and discard the skins.

Transfer them to a blender along with the cilantro, sour cream, cumin seeds, garlic, poblanos and 1 cup of boiling water.  Season with salt and pepper.  Puree until smooth.  Set the sauce aside.

Place the chicken in a medium-size bowl.  Add 1 cup of the enchilada sauce.  Toss until the chicken is evenly coated.  Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.  Using tongs, place a tortilla into the hot oil. Fry the tortilla in the oil until it is pliable, about 1 minute.  Transfer the tortillas to a baking sheet with paper towels to absorb excess oil.  When drained, move the tortillas to a work surface.  Divide the chicken mixture between the tortillas and roll them tightly around the chicken.  Pour about 1 cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9-inch X 13-inch baking dish.  Place the rolled tortillas in the dish, seam side down.  Create one row down the middle of the dish.  Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.  Cover the enchiladas evenly with the shredded cheese.

In the preheated oven, bake the enchiladas until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese has melted, about 25 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Serve the enchiladas with plenty of sauce.  Garnish the enchiladas with two slices of avocado, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.

Note:  The recipe makes quite a bit of sauce.  I did not add all of the remaining sauce to the baking dish.  I added a substantial amount but I didn't want the enchiladas to be swimming!  (My preference.)

PRINTABLE RECIPE

I served the enchiladas with Mexican Red Rice, Arroz Rojo.  It was the perfect accompaniment!

Comments

  1. I pinned your recipe. I really dislike cilantro, but I have found if it is cooked like in tomatillo sauce it no longer taste metallic. I am making friends with Mexican food. When you live in California it is past time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your enchiladas make me miss Texas. I must try them because there's no good Mexican food in Florida.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look and sound delicious Kathy and I know we would love them. especially since they use green sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious Kate. Love authentic Mexican!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious Kate. Love authentic Mexican!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything with a tomatillo sauce. These sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the enchiladas at Sanborn's cafe and I remember them being delicious. This is the second time today I've seen enchiladas Suizas which I love. I think I need to make some soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts