Jameson Irish Whiskey Cake

A few years ago, my daughter gave me an Irish Spirits Cookbook.  I have made one of two things from it and they have all been delicious, like this Guinness Applesauce Cake with Lemon Icing and Medieval Stew with Stout. This year, I spent time just reading the entire book.  One can never use a book up...they are always good to read a second and third time.  Along the way I flagged pages that had recipes I didn't want to miss.  That means that I have been really preparing a lot of foods using whiskey, ale and hard cider.  Now, as I look at the calendar, I realize that I do not have enough time to post them all!  I anticipate a few "after St. Pat's" recipes!

I am squeezing this post in so that I can participate in Kathleen's 8th Annual Blog Crawl.  That is if her computer is repaired...she downloaded Windows 10 and it crashed her computer.  So sorry that some folks are having to deal with the frustration that Windows 10 seems to have caused.  :-(

Maybe a glass of Jameson's would help...or at least, a little in a piece of cake!  Whiskey cake is a well-known and traditional Irish dessert.  It is most often made during the Christmas holiday and is laden with lots of candied fruits.  This version is like a spicy raisin cake!  We enjoyed every bite.


Jameson Irish Whiskey Cake
adapted from The Irish Spirit

For the cake
1 cup golden raisins
1 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cloves
Dash allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 cup chopped walnuts, reserve some halves for decoration
1/4 cup Jameson Irish Whiskey

Jameson Irish Whiskey Icing
4 Tbsp unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup Jameson Irish Whiskey

Garnish
Walnut halves

Preheat oven:  350° F.

Butter two 8-inch cake pans.  Line them with parchment and butter again.

Combine the raisins and water in a small saucepan.  Bring them to a boil over medium heat then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid begins to thicken.  Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid.  Set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients:  flour, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.

In the bowl of mixer, beat the butter and granulated sugar for 4 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until smooth.  Alternately fold in the flour mixture with the reserved liquid. Stir in the raisins, whiskey, and walnuts.

Pour the mixture evenly between the two prepared cake pans.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.  Remove the pans from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.  Invert the pans onto a wire rack, remove the parchment paper and set the cakes right side up.  Allow the cakes to cool completely.

For the Icing
In the mixer bowl, beat the butter and confectioner's sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth.  Add the egg and the whiskey.  Beat until smooth.  With a spatula, spread a third of the icing onto the top of one of the layers.  Place the second layer on top.  Spread the remaining icing onto the top and sides of the cake.  Garnish with walnut halves, if desired.  Let the icing set for 15-20 minutes before serving the cake.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


Today I have joined Kathleen at Cuisine Kathleen for the 8th Annual St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl. Stop by Kathleen's to enjoy table decors and recipes that are fit for all Leprechauns!

Time got away from me...and since there is no rule that one cannot prepare Irish cuisine after the big day....coming soon will be Cider-Glazed Scallops and Irish Coffee Cake.  Both delicious and on the rotation!

I am also sharing at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

  1. Hello Kate! Thanks for this recipe. Now to see if my husband will sacrifice a 1/2 cup of his Jameson to make this delicious looking cake!
    http://happywonderer.com/2016/03/16/st-patricks-day-table/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You completely got me hook line and sinker with this cake --- to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks delicious. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks divine! My brother is a Jameson drinker. Maybe I'll make him one like this some day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe looks mighty tasty. Have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day

    ReplyDelete
  6. A slice of this would be great with my nice strong cuppa coffee! Happy St. Patty's Day-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Lynn. Give me a strong cup of coffee and some of your cake. Happy St. Patty's Day Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate, This is a big serving of rich moist goodness! Happy St. Patrick's Day! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy this sounds so delicious! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, yum...this would be such a great dessert on a cold day! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I think your cake looks so pretty and sounds delicious too! I have made rum cake but this is one I'd like to try. So nice visiting with you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, I do love a cake with lots of spices and nuts. I use a lot of brandy, sherry and rum in the kitchen; I'll have to pick up a bottle of the Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum, that looks so good! I don't drink at all, I know, not the stereotype for Irish, but I wouldn't mind it baked in my cake! Thanks so much for taking part in the annual log Crawl. So nice so see long time friends join in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great cake, it looks delicious! Hope you have a very special week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my favorite cake. I use a regular fluted bundt pan and top it with a hard sauce of Irish Whiskey, butter and powdered sugar.

    Mariz
    Great data for SEO Seattle LHI

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts